Top Syrian general defects from Army
Beirut: A high-ranking general in the Syrian army says he has defected with the help of rebel fighters.
Major General Mohammed Ezz al-Din Khalouf said in an interview today with Al-Arabiya TV that he had left the regime and that morale inside the armed forces was bad.
Activist videos posted online show Khalouf sitting with a rebel fighter after his defection and riding in a car to what the video said was the Jordanian border.
The videos appear authentic and are consistent with other reporting by The Associated Press.
While widespread defections from the Syrian army have sapped it of much of its manpower during the two-year-old anti-Assad uprising, high-level defections have been rare.
The UN says more than 70,000 people have been killed in the conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'