Top Syrian rebel leader wounded in attack
Beirut: An attempt on the life of top Syrian rebel military leader, Col Riad al-Assad, was made on Monday after a bomb was planted in his car. The rebel leader was wounded in the attack, as per a news agency report.
The blast reportedly took place during Assad’s visit to the town of Mayadeen in eastern Syria, said Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
Col Riad al-Assad is a prominent Army defector who became head of the Free Syrian Army, an umbrella group that tried to gather rebel fighters under a unified command.
But al-Asaad became little more than a figurehead and his group has been superseded by the Office of the Chiefs of Staff, associated with the opposition Syrian National Coalition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heavy rains wreak havoc across the country!
- Pakistani terrorist captured in Kashmir is a resident of Lahore
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Federal Alliance hints at joining new govt in Nepal
- Great Red Spot the source of heat on Jupiter: Scientists
- Lloyds to cut 3,000 jobs, close more branches after Brexit shock
- Chhattisgarh IAS officer claims 94% of death row convicts are Dalits, Muslims, triggers row
- Mahasweta Devi—A voice of the oppressed