Top Syrian rebel leader wounded in attack
Beirut: An attempt on the life of top Syrian rebel military leader, Col Riad al-Assad, was made on Monday after a bomb was planted in his car. The rebel leader was wounded in the attack, as per a news agency report.
The blast reportedly took place during Assad’s visit to the town of Mayadeen in eastern Syria, said Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
Col Riad al-Assad is a prominent Army defector who became head of the Free Syrian Army, an umbrella group that tried to gather rebel fighters under a unified command.
But al-Asaad became little more than a figurehead and his group has been superseded by the Office of the Chiefs of Staff, associated with the opposition Syrian National Coalition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises