Top Syrian rebel leader wounded in attack
Beirut: An attempt on the life of top Syrian rebel military leader, Col Riad al-Assad, was made on Monday after a bomb was planted in his car. The rebel leader was wounded in the attack, as per a news agency report.
The blast reportedly took place during Assad’s visit to the town of Mayadeen in eastern Syria, said Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
Col Riad al-Assad is a prominent Army defector who became head of the Free Syrian Army, an umbrella group that tried to gather rebel fighters under a unified command.
But al-Asaad became little more than a figurehead and his group has been superseded by the Office of the Chiefs of Staff, associated with the opposition Syrian National Coalition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’