Top Syrian rebel leader wounded in attack
Beirut: An attempt on the life of top Syrian rebel military leader, Col Riad al-Assad, was made on Monday after a bomb was planted in his car. The rebel leader was wounded in the attack, as per a news agency report.
The blast reportedly took place during Assad’s visit to the town of Mayadeen in eastern Syria, said Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
Col Riad al-Assad is a prominent Army defector who became head of the Free Syrian Army, an umbrella group that tried to gather rebel fighters under a unified command.
But al-Asaad became little more than a figurehead and his group has been superseded by the Office of the Chiefs of Staff, associated with the opposition Syrian National Coalition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- If Kashmir issue is not resolved under Modi, it will never be resolved: Mehbooba
- Magical Ravichandran Ashwin hits 200; Lendl Simmons becomes his latest bunny
- Bailey stars as Australia deny Sri Lanka winning farewell to Dilshan; lead ODI series 2-1
- EPL 2016-17: Gameweek 3 — City go top with win over Hammers
- Glowing distant stars become Hubble's latest subject! - See pic