Top UK Gen says ‘country could intervene militarily in Syria in months’
London: A top British general has said that the UK could intervene militarily in Syria in the next few months.
General Sir David Richards said there were contingency plans in place for a “very limited” response in the case of a worsening humanitarian situation in Syria.
During an interview with the BBC One, Richards, the Chief of the Defence Staff, suggested that Britain could intervene militarily this winter when desert temperatures fall and lives are put at risk.
“The humanitarian situation this winter I think will deteriorate and that may well provoke calls to intervene in a limited way,” the Telegraph quoted him, as saying.
“But no, there’s no ultimately military reason why one shouldn’t and I know that all these options are, quite rightly, being examined. It’s not impossible and obviously we develop contingency plans to look at all these things,” he said.
According to the paper, Richards added that “the main thing” Britain was focusing on was to ensure that the crisis does not “spill over into countries like Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey”.
The admission is the most serious warning yet that Britain is preparing for some sort of military involvement in the country, the paper said.
In the past week, British policy has moved from laying out plans to help organise the disparate rebel groups to discussing intervention, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway