Top UN official supporting peacekeepers resigns
United Nations: Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon says Ameerah Haq is stepping down as the UN undersecretary-general in charge of providing logistics and support for the more than 100,000 UN peacekeepers deployed around the world.
Ban expressed "tremendous gratitude" yesterday to Haq "for her outstanding service" during a 38-year UN career which has included a wide range of development, humanitarian and peacekeeping roles from East Timor to Sudan, Afghanistan, Malaysia and Laos.
Ban did not name a replacement, and neither he nor his UN spokesman gave a reason for Haq`s sudden departure.
Haq, who is from Bangladesh, was the top UN envoy in East Timor until she replaced Susana Malcorra a year ago as undersecretary-general for field support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents