Top UN official supporting peacekeepers resigns
United Nations: Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon says Ameerah Haq is stepping down as the UN undersecretary-general in charge of providing logistics and support for the more than 100,000 UN peacekeepers deployed around the world.
Ban expressed "tremendous gratitude" yesterday to Haq "for her outstanding service" during a 38-year UN career which has included a wide range of development, humanitarian and peacekeeping roles from East Timor to Sudan, Afghanistan, Malaysia and Laos.
Ban did not name a replacement, and neither he nor his UN spokesman gave a reason for Haq`s sudden departure.
Haq, who is from Bangladesh, was the top UN envoy in East Timor until she replaced Susana Malcorra a year ago as undersecretary-general for field support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- A month on, search continues for missing IAF aircraft AN-32
- PM Modi calls for dialogue, accepts development alone can't bring 'lasting solution' to Kashmir
- Seoul, Washington start war game despite Pyongyang's backlash
- Manjula Chellur sworn-in as Chief Justice of Bombay High Court
- Gionee S6s smartphone with 8MP front camera launched at Rs 17,999