Top US commander in South Korea cancels trip to US
Bagram (Afghanistan): The top US military commander in South Korea has cancelled a trip to Washington to testify before Congress because of tensions with North Korea.
In an email on Sunday to The Associated Press, Army Col Amy Hannah says Gen James Thurman will remain in Seoul next week as -- quote -- "a prudent measure."
Thurman has asked the Senate Armed Services Committee, the House Armed Services Committee, and the House Appropriations subcommittee on defence to excuse his absence until he can testify at a later date.
He was scheduled to testify on Tuesday and Wednesday.
South Korea also announced that its top military commander has put off a planned Washington visit because of the tensions.
The North has threatened to launch attacks on South Korea and the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days