Top US counterterrorism official quits
Washington: Michael Leiter, the head of the US National Counterterrorism Centre across two administrations, is resigning, officials said on Thursday as President Barack Obama paid a warm tribute.
Leiter heads the prime government clearing house and analytical point for terrorism threat information set up after intelligence failures contributed to the September 11 attacks in 2001.
"Mike Leiter`s entire career has been one of service to our nation and I know his decision to leave the National Counterterrorism Centre was undoubtedly a difficult one for him," said Obama in a statement.
"Serving in two administrations since 2007, Mike led the National Counterterrorism Centre with dedication and unwavering determination during challenging and demanding times.
"Mike has been a trusted advisor to me and to the entire national security team, providing us with an in-depth understanding of terrorist activities that affect our nation`s security."
Leiter, who rarely played a public role in the US fight against terrorism, was highly regarded inside the administration, as one of the officials faced with a 24-hour a day responsibility to prevent attacks on US soil.
Key administration officials came to his defence after he took a vacation with his son after an alleged bid by a Nigerian man armed with an underwear bomb to down a Northwest Airlines jet headed for Detroit on Christmas Day, 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!