Top US counterterrorism official quits
Washington: Michael Leiter, the head of the US National Counterterrorism Centre across two administrations, is resigning, officials said on Thursday as President Barack Obama paid a warm tribute.
Leiter heads the prime government clearing house and analytical point for terrorism threat information set up after intelligence failures contributed to the September 11 attacks in 2001.
"Mike Leiter`s entire career has been one of service to our nation and I know his decision to leave the National Counterterrorism Centre was undoubtedly a difficult one for him," said Obama in a statement.
"Serving in two administrations since 2007, Mike led the National Counterterrorism Centre with dedication and unwavering determination during challenging and demanding times.
"Mike has been a trusted advisor to me and to the entire national security team, providing us with an in-depth understanding of terrorist activities that affect our nation`s security."
Leiter, who rarely played a public role in the US fight against terrorism, was highly regarded inside the administration, as one of the officials faced with a 24-hour a day responsibility to prevent attacks on US soil.
Key administration officials came to his defence after he took a vacation with his son after an alleged bid by a Nigerian man armed with an underwear bomb to down a Northwest Airlines jet headed for Detroit on Christmas Day, 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof