Top US military brass to be cut 20%, says Hagel
Jacksonville (US): The US Defense secretary says his staff and that of his top brass will be trimmed by 20 per cent in coming years.
The comments today by Chuck Hagel came on the second day of a tour of four military bases to talk about budget cuts that have forced furloughs of Defense Department civilian employees and a shortage in services for troops.
Hagel said personnel in his office, the Joint Chiefs chairman`s and the headquarters of the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines would be cut starting in 2015 and continue through 2019. He wouldn`t discuss the estimated savings and didn`t give details.
Military spending was slashed by USD 37 billion this year, forcing job furloughs that began last week for an estimated 650,000 Defense department civilian employees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- The Pot Simmers: Beef Politics in UP; Beef Festival in Kerala