Top US Republican rejects Russian request to meet on Syria
Washington: John Boehner, the top Republican in the US House of Representatives, has rejected a request to meet a Russian delegation to discuss Syria, his spokesman said.
Earlier this week, Russian President Vladimir Putin publicly endorsed plans to send a parliamentary delegation to the United States for talks with Congress.
The initiative appears aimed at persuading US lawmakers to vote down President Barack Obama`s call to support limited military strikes in Syria in the wake of an alleged deadly sarin gas attack in a Damascus suburb on August 21.
"The Speaker has declined the Russian embassy`s request that he meet with a delegation," Michael Steel, Boehner`s spokesman, told AFP yesterday.
CNN quoted a spokesman for the Russian embassy in Washington as saying the visit was still being planned and that it would be "next week."
The spokesman also told CNN the delegation would include members of the upper and lower chambers of Russia`s parliament and that they intended to speak with Republicans and Democrats in both the House and Senate.
Valentina Matviyenko, speaker of Russia`s upper house of parliament, said Monday the delegation would try to travel to the United States before September 9.
Russia has supported the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad throughout the two and a half year conflict and has repeatedly blocked any attempts to punish his regime at the UN Security Council.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read