Top Zimbabwe electoral official resigns over vote
Harare: A top Zimbabwean election official has resigned over the conduct of elections in an explicit condemnation of President Robert Mugabe`s anticipated win.
In a letter sent to Mugabe and Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, Mkhululi Nyathi, a member of the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission, said the polls on Wednesday did not meet the benchmarks of fairness.
"I do not wish to enumerate the many reasons for my resignation, but they all have to do with the manner (in which) the ... Elections were proclaimed and conducted," Nyathi wrote.
"Throughout the whole process I retained some measure of hope that the integrity of the whole process could be salvaged along the way. This was not to be, hence my considered decision to resign."
Nyathi, one of nine members of the electoral commission, said his resignation had nothing to do with the outcome of the process.
"I wish, through this letter, to salute the people of Zimbabwe for conducting themselves with dignity and calm throughout the whole process."
"However, these are not only the benchmarks for free, fair and legitimate elections."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!