Topless activists arrested at Brussels protest
Moscow: Belgian police have arrested four activists of Ukraine`s Femen movement when they attempted to hold a topless protest in Brussels where the Russia-EU summit is underway.
The EUbusiness news portal said that shortly after Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived at the EU headquarters for talks with EU president Herman Van Rompuy and European Commission head Jose Manuel Barroso, four Femen activists began walking towards the EU building.
The women, who were stripped to the waist and painted with protest messages, shouted anti-Putin slogans.
"The `Putin Is the Apocalypse` protest lasted only minutes," the portal said.
The women were "thrown to the ground by a dozen burly police" and hauled off in a police van. The protest caused no disruption to the summit.
Ukraine`s radical feminist movement Femen was established in 2008 and was devoted mainly to protests on women`s issues. Later the group made headlines for pro-democracy and anti-corruption protests in Russia, Ukraine and London.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Protests turn violent outside Donald Trump's rally; clashes erupt
- I wanted to represent India at Cannes red carpet: Sonam Kapoor
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 declared: Check gbshse.gov.in, goaresults.nic.in to know your score
- Gold price slumps by Rs 370 to 6-week low of Rs 29,200 per ten grams
- Music companies give commercial songs to their artists: Sonu Nigam