Topless Mexican politician sparks debate
London: A Mexican politician, who bared her boobs for votes, has triggered a storm of protest.
Natalia Juarez, 34, released a campaign poster showing her and six female pals covering their bare breasts with their right hand and saluting with their left.
But critics claimed the banner had boobed after branding it a cheap publicity stunt, the Sun reported.
A voter blasted: “What a shame!”
“Even this way, she has to call attention to herself.”
Juarez, a university philosophy lecturer, started her campaign for a seat in Mexico’s congress in the Western city of Guadalajara earlier this week.
She is running for the Democratic Revolution Party, a left-wing group called PRD in Mexico.
The poster had the slogan, “Dare to build a new national project without prejudices.”
And it added: “In the name of all for true change."
“It’s an attempt to run a campaign that is different and cheerful, but also an invitation for people to reveal who they are and commit themselves,” Juarez said.
“It’s a risk we have to take.”
However, despite the backlash, women have gathered to back Juarez.
One woman vowed: “I’d vote for her”.
“I for once definitely hope Natalia wins this one,” a top Mexican blogger said.
“Let’s trust the youth of Guadalajara and hope that they move away from the conservatism that has ruled the State for many years,” she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie