Topless Tunisian feminist `fears for her life` from rabid Islamists
London: A 19-year-old Tunisian woman who bared her breasts to protest for women`s rights, has said that she now fears for her life and wants to take refuge abroad.
The woman, known only as Amina, appeared in photographs on Facebook last month with the words: "My body belongs to me" written across her bare chest. The move was a particularly bold act in a Muslim country led by moderate Islamist party, Ennahda, reports the Guardian.
The Ukraine-based group Femen, which stages topless protests for women`s and gay rights, inspired Amina`s act. The group held an event called International Topless Jihad day last Thursday in support of Muslim women, including Amina.
Amina went into hiding after reportedly receiving death threats, prompting rumours over her whereabouts, including one that she had been interned in a psychiatric hospital. But she reappeared in an interview broadcast on Saturday with the French cable TV station Canal Plus in a village, far from the Tunisian capital where she`s been hiding.
Amina told the channel that she must leave Tunisia, as she is afraid for her life and the lives of her family. She said it would not be possible for her to return to school in Tunisia and that she wants to study journalism abroad.
Amina further said that although she fears for her life in her country, she will keep her Femen principles until she is 80.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi