Topless Tunisian feminist `fears for her life` from rabid Islamists
London: A 19-year-old Tunisian woman who bared her breasts to protest for women`s rights, has said that she now fears for her life and wants to take refuge abroad.
The woman, known only as Amina, appeared in photographs on Facebook last month with the words: "My body belongs to me" written across her bare chest. The move was a particularly bold act in a Muslim country led by moderate Islamist party, Ennahda, reports the Guardian.
The Ukraine-based group Femen, which stages topless protests for women`s and gay rights, inspired Amina`s act. The group held an event called International Topless Jihad day last Thursday in support of Muslim women, including Amina.
Amina went into hiding after reportedly receiving death threats, prompting rumours over her whereabouts, including one that she had been interned in a psychiatric hospital. But she reappeared in an interview broadcast on Saturday with the French cable TV station Canal Plus in a village, far from the Tunisian capital where she`s been hiding.
Amina told the channel that she must leave Tunisia, as she is afraid for her life and the lives of her family. She said it would not be possible for her to return to school in Tunisia and that she wants to study journalism abroad.
Amina further said that although she fears for her life in her country, she will keep her Femen principles until she is 80.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble