Topless Tunisian feminist `fears for her life` from rabid Islamists
London: A 19-year-old Tunisian woman who bared her breasts to protest for women`s rights, has said that she now fears for her life and wants to take refuge abroad.
The woman, known only as Amina, appeared in photographs on Facebook last month with the words: "My body belongs to me" written across her bare chest. The move was a particularly bold act in a Muslim country led by moderate Islamist party, Ennahda, reports the Guardian.
The Ukraine-based group Femen, which stages topless protests for women`s and gay rights, inspired Amina`s act. The group held an event called International Topless Jihad day last Thursday in support of Muslim women, including Amina.
Amina went into hiding after reportedly receiving death threats, prompting rumours over her whereabouts, including one that she had been interned in a psychiatric hospital. But she reappeared in an interview broadcast on Saturday with the French cable TV station Canal Plus in a village, far from the Tunisian capital where she`s been hiding.
Amina told the channel that she must leave Tunisia, as she is afraid for her life and the lives of her family. She said it would not be possible for her to return to school in Tunisia and that she wants to study journalism abroad.
Amina further said that although she fears for her life in her country, she will keep her Femen principles until she is 80.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter