Torrential rain claims 15 lives in China
Beijing: At least 15 people were dead,
five more missing and tens of thousands evacuated after
torrential rain and flood wrecked havoc in southern China.
Downpours triggered landslides blocked roads and
railway lines in the region, the state-run Xinhua news agency
Six people were dead, two missing, 56,000 relocated
and 760,000 affected in central China`s Hunan Province, the
Xinhua quoted the provincial Flood Control and Drought Relief
Headquarters as saying.
The rain had inflicted direct economic losses of one
billion yuan (USD 147 million) in Hunan alone, the report
said, adding Hunan`s neighbouring province of Hubei saw seven
people dead and three missing due to the rain-triggered
accidents, as well as economic losses of 1.09 billion yuan.
About 15,000 people were evacuated from their homes
today after torrential rains left two townships in southwest
China`s Chongqing Municipality in flood waters up to 1.2
No casualties were reported in the flash floods that
affected Fenshui Township and Sanzheng Township in Wanzhou
District, near the massive Three Gorge Dam project.
A rain-triggered landslide disrupted the
Sichuan-Guizhou Railway at Tongzi County in southwest China`s
Guizhou Province at around 8 am today, said Wang Zhong, head
of Tongzi County government.
The landslide carrying 2,000 cubic meters of debris
occurred at Dahe Town. Over 300 workers with seven excavators
were battling to repair the railway.
"The railway is expected to be fixed by 5 pm. A total
of 10 trains would be affected by the accident," said Wang.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM