Torrential rain triggers urban flooding in China
Beijing: Witnessing its heaviest rainfall of the year since Thursday, the Kunming city in China`s Yunnan province is grappling with an urban flooding.
Cars and taxis have become submerged in the city and more than 200 inundated buses have been rendered unusable. The drainage system has failed, resulting in floods in many areas of the city, Xinhua reported Friday.
Water level on the nearby Panlong river exceeded the river banks` height, said the city`s drainage company.
According to Jiang Kaili, deputy director of the municipal flood control office, precipitation has reached up to 190 mm thus far and rain-triggered floods have seriously disrupted road traffic.
Other rivers that traverse the city, such as the Jinzhen and Daguan rivers, have also seen drastic increases in water levels.
A spokesman with the Kunming railway bureau said trains departing from Kunming were operating as usual as of Friday noon, but those destined to arrive in the city from the cities of Shanghai, Xiamen, Nanjing, Guilin and Qujing have been delayed.
Meanwhile, 2,000 air passengers were affected as they couldn`t get to the city`s airport on time because of failed transport. Twenty-four flights were delayed.
The rainstorms also cut off power to 12,700 homes in 16 neighbourhoods.
The city government Friday initiated an emergency response for flood control. More than 3,000 people have joined in disaster relief efforts, helping relocate 26,000 residents to safety.
The rain is continuing to batter the city. And, according to a provincial weather forecast, it will continue until July 25.
Heavy rain has also hit the province`s cities of Lijiang and Qujing, as well as Honghe Hani prefecture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark