Torrential rains kill at least 16 in China
Beijing: At least 16 people were killed and more than 11 lakh people affected after downpours triggered flash floods and mudslides in China`s southern and northern regions over the past three days.
Floods triggered by rainstorms have killed six people, affected the lives of more than 4.5 lakh people, destroyed some 1,000 houses and inundated almost 17,000 hectares of cropland in the Guangxi Zhuang autonomous regions, a government spokesman said yesterday.
Direct economic losses were estimated at CNY 128 million (USD 20.3 million) the spokesman said, adding local authorities have launched relief operations.
Local meteorological authorities forecast that more heavy rainfalls will hit parts of Guangxi today.
Since Saturday, rainstorm-triggered floods also affected three counties in the Ulanqab city in Inner Mongolia, authorities with the city government of Ulanqab said.
So far, eight were killed in the floods, which have also cut the road communication and power supply in some regions, authorities said.
Strong downpours also battered east China`s Jiangxi province from Friday, leaving over 734,000 people affected by the natural disaster, the provincial flood prevention and control headquarters said.
Local governments have relocated about 26,890 people to avoid flood risks.
Ten major reservoirs in Jiangxi have seen their water level rising above the warning levels, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
In south China`s Guangdong province, two were killed and another three were still missing due to a round of rainstorms, which continuously battered Guangdong from Thursday to yesterday, said the provincial flood prevention and control headquarters.
The rainstorms have affected the life of about 3.12 lakh people in Guangdong.
The water levels in several major rivers in Guangdong have surpassed the warning levels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!