Torrential rains kill at least 16 in China
Beijing: At least 16 people were killed and more than 11 lakh people affected after downpours triggered flash floods and mudslides in China`s southern and northern regions over the past three days.
Floods triggered by rainstorms have killed six people, affected the lives of more than 4.5 lakh people, destroyed some 1,000 houses and inundated almost 17,000 hectares of cropland in the Guangxi Zhuang autonomous regions, a government spokesman said yesterday.
Direct economic losses were estimated at CNY 128 million (USD 20.3 million) the spokesman said, adding local authorities have launched relief operations.
Local meteorological authorities forecast that more heavy rainfalls will hit parts of Guangxi today.
Since Saturday, rainstorm-triggered floods also affected three counties in the Ulanqab city in Inner Mongolia, authorities with the city government of Ulanqab said.
So far, eight were killed in the floods, which have also cut the road communication and power supply in some regions, authorities said.
Strong downpours also battered east China`s Jiangxi province from Friday, leaving over 734,000 people affected by the natural disaster, the provincial flood prevention and control headquarters said.
Local governments have relocated about 26,890 people to avoid flood risks.
Ten major reservoirs in Jiangxi have seen their water level rising above the warning levels, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
In south China`s Guangdong province, two were killed and another three were still missing due to a round of rainstorms, which continuously battered Guangdong from Thursday to yesterday, said the provincial flood prevention and control headquarters.
The rainstorms have affected the life of about 3.12 lakh people in Guangdong.
The water levels in several major rivers in Guangdong have surpassed the warning levels.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged