Torture watchdogs visit alleged CIA lock-ups in Lithuania
Vilnius: European anti-torture watchdogs
have visited two purported former `war on terror` lock-ups in
Lithuania allegedly used by US agents to interrogate Al-Qaeda
suspects, Lithuanian authorities said on Friday.
Members of the Council of Europe`s anti-torture committee
travelled to the locations this week, Lithuanian Justice
Minister Remigijus Simasius told agency.
"The committee members were interested in the case of
alleged illegal detention centres in Lithuania, and visited
the sites that are mentioned as the places where terrorist
suspects were held," Simasius said, declining to give details.
"Of course, there are no conclusions so far," he added.
The visit came amid a routine trip to assess regular
places of detention in the Baltic state, Simasius noted.
In December, a Lithuanian parliamentary probe identified
two secret lock-ups on the staunch US ally`s territory which
it said may have been used by Washington from 2003 to 2006.
But it noted that despite records showing aircraft from
the US Central Intelligence Agency landed in Lithuania, it was
not possible to say if suspects were actually brought to the
Prosecutors are probing claims that high-ranking
Lithuanian security officials failed to inform their country`s
leaders about their collaboration with the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar