Tory councillor compared Muslim kids to bin bags, suspended
London: A local Tory councillor has been suspended for posting a comment on Facebook comparing Muslim children wearing burqas to garbage bags.
Chris Joannides, the Conservative councillor for Enfield, in north London, has denied being Islamophobic and defended his comments as ``blokeish banter``, reports the Daily Mail.
Joannides posted a photo showing a woman and child dressed in burqas standing next to two bin bags, and wrote underneath: "I saw her standing there and I told her she had three beautiful children. She didn`t have to get all p****d off and threaten me. It was an honest mistake!"
Joannides, who is of Greek-Cypriot heritage, insisted he took his duties seriously despite the ``blokeish banter`` written on his Facebook page. He denied being an Islamophobic. He said he would always do his best for all residents of Enfield irrespective of their political leanings, sexual orientation, religious beliefs or cultural background.
The relevant posts have all now been deleted from Facebook, but Joannides could face disciplinary action from the council after officials were shown a print-out of the comments.
He has also been suspended from the local Conservative group, while a complaint about the posts was made to the Metropolitan Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack