Tory councillor compared Muslim kids to bin bags, suspended
London: A local Tory councillor has been suspended for posting a comment on Facebook comparing Muslim children wearing burqas to garbage bags.
Chris Joannides, the Conservative councillor for Enfield, in north London, has denied being Islamophobic and defended his comments as ``blokeish banter``, reports the Daily Mail.
Joannides posted a photo showing a woman and child dressed in burqas standing next to two bin bags, and wrote underneath: "I saw her standing there and I told her she had three beautiful children. She didn`t have to get all p****d off and threaten me. It was an honest mistake!"
Joannides, who is of Greek-Cypriot heritage, insisted he took his duties seriously despite the ``blokeish banter`` written on his Facebook page. He denied being an Islamophobic. He said he would always do his best for all residents of Enfield irrespective of their political leanings, sexual orientation, religious beliefs or cultural background.
The relevant posts have all now been deleted from Facebook, but Joannides could face disciplinary action from the council after officials were shown a print-out of the comments.
He has also been suspended from the local Conservative group, while a complaint about the posts was made to the Metropolitan Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report