Tourists held, sexually assaulted in Rio
Rio De Janeiro: Police say two foreign tourists were held for hours, brutalized and one of them sexually assaulted on public transport after being picked up in Rio de Janeiro`s showcase Copacabana beach neighbourhood.
A police statement says two men aged 20 and 22 have been taken into custody in connection to the incident. Police say the two foreigners were held for around six hours early Saturday after they boarded a public transport van in Copacabana.
The statement says the pair forced other passengers to get off and then proceeded to sexually assault the female tourist inside the van.
The nationalities of the victims have not been released, but local media reports have said the woman is American.
Multiple calls to the police seeking further detail today have not been returned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Srinagar encounter: Two suspected cop killers gunned down as search-op against militants continues
- Van Gaal sacked by United, Mourinho poised to step in
- Iraq justice ministry announces execution of 22 convicts
- UK grants asylum to Maldives' ex-president Mohamed Nasheed
- North Korean envoy rejects Trump overture to meet leader