Tourists invited to see erupting Congo volcano
Kinshasa: Virunga National Park is inviting tourists on an overnight trek to a spectacular eruption of Mount Nyamulagira in eastern Congo.
The volcano began erupting on November 06 and has several lava fountains spewing up to 650 feet (200 meters) into the air.
A Monday statement from the park that is a World Heritage site says rivers of incandescent lava are flowing slowly north into an uninhabited part of the park and pose no danger to its critically endangered mountain gorillas.
The park has set up a camp in a safe area close to Nyamulagira, sometimes called Nyamuragira, where visitors can spend the night.
The eruption could last days, or months.
An eruption of nearby Mount Nyiragongo in 2002 destroyed most of Goma city and forced 350,000 residents to flee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?