Tourists stoned in Jerusalem; 13 held
Jerusalem: Israeli police arrested 13
Palestinians in the grounds of Jerusalem`s flashpoint Al-Aqsa
mosque complex on Sunday after police and tourists visiting the
site were stoned, a police spokesman said.
"Stones were thrown at tourists and police officers.
Police have made thirteen arrests," Micky Rosenfeld said.
"The situation is calm at present."
He said he did not know the cause of the incident.
Nasser Kos, a resident of Jerusalem`s Old City who was at
the site during the incident said that a group of
Christian tourists entered the compound. Among them,
Palestinians identified religious Jews and began hurling
stones at police, Kos said.
Police used tear gas to disperse the Palestinians, none of
whom was hurt, Kos said.
Rosenfeld said one policeman was lightly injured by a
stone that hit him on the head, and he was treated on the
A Palestinian protest was staged a week ago at the site,
which is revered by Jews as the site of their biblical Jewish
temple, when a group of Jewish nationalist hardliners
attempted to visit.
They were prevented by police from doing so and calm was
The Al-Aqsa compound, known to Jews as Temple Mount, is
home to the third-most sacred site in Islam. It is venerated
by Jews as their holiest site, where King Herod`s temple once
stood before it was destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi