`Town` of illegal migrants found in Moscow
Moscow: Law enforcers in the Russian capital have discovered "a whole town" of makeshift cabins in Moscow, where about 2,000 illegal migrant labourers live, RIA Novosti reported.
The discovery was made after residents complained about their noisy neighbours.
A probe showed that the land, which was leased by authorities for agriculture purposes to a farm, "was de facto turned into a major supplier on the Moscow labour market", a law enforcement official said.
Buses arrived there in the morning, took labourer migrants to construction sites all over the city, and took them back in the evening, the source said.
This is not the first time such settlements have been found in Moscow.
In April 2011, Moscow police discovered what it called an "underground city" of labourer migrants in an abandoned bomb shelter.
A total of 110 men and women were living in an underground bomb shelter behind a four-metre high concrete barbed wire fence. The facility had showers, bedrooms and even prayer rooms.
Russia has been struggling to stem the inflow of migrant workers, most of whom come to Moscow and other major cities from former Soviet republics. Around 10 percent of Russia`s workforce is thought to come from outside the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Another setback! Case filed against AAP workers for preventing emergency vehicle's movement
- WATCH: UNPLAYABLE! Have you seen this 'T20 ball of the century' by R Ashwin?
- Flood alert: Situation remains grim in Assam, Arunachal, railways affected in Bihar
- Red Corridor to be redrawn - Know how many districts will be taken off Naxalite–Maoist insurgency list
- SC issues notice to Vijay Mallya for not disclosing assets