Traian Basescu survives impeachment vote in Romania
Bucharest: Low turnout of voters prevented the impeachment of suspended President Traian Basescu. According to reports, the turnout was 45.9 per cent as against the required 50 per cent.
On Sunday, at 8 pm (2230 IST), three hours before polls were to close, the turnout was just 37.67 per cent, according to the Central Election Bureau. That was lower than June local elections when the turnout was about 56 per cent.
Basescu`s rivals in the government are seeking to push him out for the second time in five years. They claim the 60-year-old populist violated the constitution by meddling in government business, coddling cronies and using the secret services against enemies.
The political turmoil has dented Romania`s credibility, with the US and European Union expressing doubts about the left-leaning government`s respect for the independence of the judiciary.
Jose Manuel Barroso, president of the European Commission, the EU`s executive branch, last week issued a stern statement expressing "serious concerns about recent political events in Romania in relation to the rule of law, the independence of the judiciary and the role of the Constitutional Court."
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick
- Nargis Fakhri looks smoking hot in this outfit with plunging neckline – See Pics
- BJP leader Yashwant Sinha criticises Modi government on NSG fiasco