Train derails in Spain after rockfall; 11 injured
Madrid: Spanish authorities say a rockfall has derailed a train, injuring 11 passengers after the first carriage partially plunged into a river just west of the northern city of Santander.
Regional government spokeswoman Patricia Fernandez says three passengers were taken to hospitals in Santander and Torrelavega with serious injuries while eight received first aid for minor injuries.
Heavy rain and hail had been falling in the area and a rockfall caused the carriage to leave the tracks at Cabezon de la Sal, 450 kilometrEs (280 miles) north of Madrid, according to Adif, national operator of rail infrastructure.
Divers were called to the scene last evening, but national train operator Renfe said all passengers had been accounted for and a search of the river had not been necessary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened