Train derails in Spain after rockfall; 11 injured
Madrid: Spanish authorities say a rockfall has derailed a train, injuring 11 passengers after the first carriage partially plunged into a river just west of the northern city of Santander.
Regional government spokeswoman Patricia Fernandez says three passengers were taken to hospitals in Santander and Torrelavega with serious injuries while eight received first aid for minor injuries.
Heavy rain and hail had been falling in the area and a rockfall caused the carriage to leave the tracks at Cabezon de la Sal, 450 kilometrEs (280 miles) north of Madrid, according to Adif, national operator of rail infrastructure.
Divers were called to the scene last evening, but national train operator Renfe said all passengers had been accounted for and a search of the river had not been necessary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information