Train derails in Spain after rockfall; 11 injured
Madrid: Spanish authorities say a rockfall has derailed a train, injuring 11 passengers after the first carriage partially plunged into a river just west of the northern city of Santander.
Regional government spokeswoman Patricia Fernandez says three passengers were taken to hospitals in Santander and Torrelavega with serious injuries while eight received first aid for minor injuries.
Heavy rain and hail had been falling in the area and a rockfall caused the carriage to leave the tracks at Cabezon de la Sal, 450 kilometrEs (280 miles) north of Madrid, according to Adif, national operator of rail infrastructure.
Divers were called to the scene last evening, but national train operator Renfe said all passengers had been accounted for and a search of the river had not been necessary.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement