Transgender woman dies after assault in NYC
New York: Hate crimes task force detectives were investigating on Saturday the death of a transgender woman who was assaulted last week on a New York City street and later died.
The victim, 21-year-old Islan Nettles, died yesterday, five days after she was attacked. The medical examiner`s office will determine a cause of death.
It was the latest in a spate of bias attacks this year in New York. Sixty-eight have been reported, from yelled slurs to the May killing of a 32-year-old gay man in Greenwich Village. Police stepped up patrols this summer in response.
Last year, 54 attacks total were reported. Nettles and a friend, another transgender woman, were out Saturday evening in Harlem when they ran into a group of men, and one pounced, punching Nettles in the face, police said.
But a witness who spoke to authorities initially did not mention any anti-gay remarks, and the suspect, 20-year-old Paris Wilson, was arrested on an assault charge.
After the attack, Nettles was hospitalised, slipped into a coma and later died.
The witness eventually told detectives about the anti-gay remarks, and the hate crimes task force took over the investigation. Detectives are looking at whether the suspect had propositioned Nettles. Upgraded charges are possible following the medical examiner`s ruling, police said.
In May, police said Mark Carson, 32, was first taunted with homophobic slurs, then shot in the head in Greenwich Village, not far from the site of 1969 Stonewall riots that helped give rise to the gay rights movement.
A suspect was arrested on a charge of murder as a hate crime. The killing, and other bias attacks, sparked a summer protest attended by thousands.
Some of the other bias incidents this summer included an assault last week where two men were attacked in Chelsea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town