Transgender woman dies after assault in NYC
New York: Hate crimes task force detectives were investigating on Saturday the death of a transgender woman who was assaulted last week on a New York City street and later died.
The victim, 21-year-old Islan Nettles, died yesterday, five days after she was attacked. The medical examiner`s office will determine a cause of death.
It was the latest in a spate of bias attacks this year in New York. Sixty-eight have been reported, from yelled slurs to the May killing of a 32-year-old gay man in Greenwich Village. Police stepped up patrols this summer in response.
Last year, 54 attacks total were reported. Nettles and a friend, another transgender woman, were out Saturday evening in Harlem when they ran into a group of men, and one pounced, punching Nettles in the face, police said.
But a witness who spoke to authorities initially did not mention any anti-gay remarks, and the suspect, 20-year-old Paris Wilson, was arrested on an assault charge.
After the attack, Nettles was hospitalised, slipped into a coma and later died.
The witness eventually told detectives about the anti-gay remarks, and the hate crimes task force took over the investigation. Detectives are looking at whether the suspect had propositioned Nettles. Upgraded charges are possible following the medical examiner`s ruling, police said.
In May, police said Mark Carson, 32, was first taunted with homophobic slurs, then shot in the head in Greenwich Village, not far from the site of 1969 Stonewall riots that helped give rise to the gay rights movement.
A suspect was arrested on a charge of murder as a hate crime. The killing, and other bias attacks, sparked a summer protest attended by thousands.
Some of the other bias incidents this summer included an assault last week where two men were attacked in Chelsea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- One killed, 30 wounded by explosions in southern Thailand – police
- Iraq summons its envoy to Portugal over teenager assault
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding
- US investigating non-travel Zika case in new area in Florida