Trapped Chilean miners discussed cannibalism
Santiago: The 33 Chilean miners who spent more than two months trapped 700 meters underground discussed the possibility of cannibalism in the first days of their ordeal, one of them said.
"It was kind of who died first, that`s where we were, he who died first ... the rest will go there, like the little animals," Samuel Avalos said in a documentary aired Sunday night on Chile`s TVN public television network.
"17 Days Buried Alive", a co-production of TVN and the BBC, was broadcast four days ahead of the first anniversary of the dramatic rescue at the San Jose Mine in northern Chile`s Atacama Desert.
The documentary focuses on what was happening underground during the nearly three weeks it took teams on the surface to make contact with the miners trapped by the Augm 5, 2010, cave-in.
In those desperate first days, the miners had to conserve the little food left in the shelter. Every 48 hours, each man received a ration of two teaspoonfuls of tuna, half a glass of milk and half a cookie.
Efe contacted Avalos Monday to ask about his statements in the documentary, but he declined to comment.
The idea that the trapped miners pondered a resort to cannibalism was raised earlier this year by the Chile correspondent for Britain`s Guardian newspaper, Jonathan Franklin, in his book about the incident, "33 Men".
In the book, Franklin quoted miner Mario Sepulveda as telling him: "Food or no food, I was going to get out of there. I had to think about which miner was going to collapse first and then I started thinking about how I was going to eat him. I wasn`t embarrassed, I wasn`t scared."
The miners` story reminded many of that of the Uruguayan rugby players who resorted to cannibalism before being rescued after their airplane went down in the Chilean Andes in 1972, an episode recounted in the book and film "Alive".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list