Trapped in canyon for 3 days, US man, sons survive
New York: A Utah man and his two young sons survived a harrowing three days trapped in a remote canyon with scant food and water before they were rescued by a chopper.
Jason Knight and his 11- and 8-year-old sons hiked into Sandthrax Canyon, south of Salt Lake City, last week for what was supposed to be a five-hour trek when they got trapped in the crevice`s of the narrow rock walls.
Sandthrax is typically traversed by more experienced canyoneers and Knight, 35, and his sons did not have the right gear.
"The entrances are, literally, less than a thousand feet apart, and we got down the wrong canyon," Knight told `TODAY`.
The trio camped there overnight, and in the morning, Knight decided to hike to the bottom so he could get out and fetch more gear.
However, when he reached the canyon floor, he realised he was lost again, stuck in a rock silo.
Though the young boys could neither see nor hear their father, they survived for two days by rationing a granola bar and some water.
The boys stayed in the same spot near the top of the canyon for two more days, until they were pulled to safety by a helicopter rescue team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Nintendo's Mario eyes a Mickey Mouse merchandising makeover
- Hepatitis prevention: Protect your liver with these useful tips
- PROMO alert! Hrithik Roshan as Sarman in 'Mohenjo Daro' —Watch now
- Salim Khan recalls Rajesh Khanna’s stardom, responds to Naseeruddin Shah’s ‘bitter’ remarks about first superstar
- BlackBerry DTEK50: 5 reasons why is it touted to be world's most secured smartphone