Trapped in canyon for 3 days, US man, sons survive
New York: A Utah man and his two young sons survived a harrowing three days trapped in a remote canyon with scant food and water before they were rescued by a chopper.
Jason Knight and his 11- and 8-year-old sons hiked into Sandthrax Canyon, south of Salt Lake City, last week for what was supposed to be a five-hour trek when they got trapped in the crevice`s of the narrow rock walls.
Sandthrax is typically traversed by more experienced canyoneers and Knight, 35, and his sons did not have the right gear.
"The entrances are, literally, less than a thousand feet apart, and we got down the wrong canyon," Knight told `TODAY`.
The trio camped there overnight, and in the morning, Knight decided to hike to the bottom so he could get out and fetch more gear.
However, when he reached the canyon floor, he realised he was lost again, stuck in a rock silo.
Though the young boys could neither see nor hear their father, they survived for two days by rationing a granola bar and some water.
The boys stayed in the same spot near the top of the canyon for two more days, until they were pulled to safety by a helicopter rescue team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...