Trapped in canyon for 3 days, US man, sons survive
New York: A Utah man and his two young sons survived a harrowing three days trapped in a remote canyon with scant food and water before they were rescued by a chopper.
Jason Knight and his 11- and 8-year-old sons hiked into Sandthrax Canyon, south of Salt Lake City, last week for what was supposed to be a five-hour trek when they got trapped in the crevice`s of the narrow rock walls.
Sandthrax is typically traversed by more experienced canyoneers and Knight, 35, and his sons did not have the right gear.
"The entrances are, literally, less than a thousand feet apart, and we got down the wrong canyon," Knight told `TODAY`.
The trio camped there overnight, and in the morning, Knight decided to hike to the bottom so he could get out and fetch more gear.
However, when he reached the canyon floor, he realised he was lost again, stuck in a rock silo.
Though the young boys could neither see nor hear their father, they survived for two days by rationing a granola bar and some water.
The boys stayed in the same spot near the top of the canyon for two more days, until they were pulled to safety by a helicopter rescue team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog