Trapped miners in Chile prepare to face the cameras
Copiapo: With their anticipated rescue
just weeks away, the 33 miners trapped in a Chilean mine have
begun training on how to speak to the public and to the media
once they emerge from the Earth`s depths.
Trainers began working with the men this week on
"public speaking and public relations" sessions, said Alberto
Iturra, the head of the psychologists` team that is tending to
the miners who have been trapped since a shaft collapsed on
The training aims "to teach them to express clearly
their ideas and how to handle situations so that the
microphones and cameras do not turn out to be stressful for
them, or become a problem that they do not know how to face."
Authorities expect some 700 journalists from around
the world to arrive on scene to cover the rescue, including
reporters for print, television and radio as well as
videographers, sound technicians, photographers and support
Mines Minister Laurence Golborne announced Friday that
the rescue could take place in the second half of October,
several weeks earlier than planned, because drills were making
swift progress toward opening a large enough hole to extract
them from their emergency shelter 700 meters below ground.
Technicians yesterday also tested the custom-built
cage that will be lowered into the mine to pull the men out
one by one.
"We are in the process of trying to get all the
equipment and infrastructure ready for the big day and are
carrying out all the necessary tests and trial runs to prevent
any possible complications," Golborne told reporters.
It is expected to take about one hour to extract each
man from the mine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Indian Premier League 9, Qualifier 1: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Gujarat Lions - As it happened...
- Angelina Jolie to teach masters course at London School of Economics!
- Sarbananda Sonowal takes charge as Assam’s first BJP CM, PM Modi attends his swearing-in
- Desperate times, desperate measures! Parineeti Chopra's make-up ain’t gonna stop – See pic
- IPL 9 VIDEO: When Shikhar Dhawan, Yuvraj Singh became Gabbar and taxi driver