Tremors felt in New Jersey after Canadian earthquake
Hackensack: Tremors from a magnitude-5.0 earthquake centred near Ottawa, Canada, shook northern New Jersey on Wednesday afternoon and caused the Bergen County administration building to be evacuated briefly.
There were no reports of damage or injuries.
Police in Bergen County said they received numerous calls from residents in the Hackensack and Englewood areas shortly after the earthquake was recorded by the US Geological Service at 1:41 pm.
A strong earthquake shook Ottawa and Montreal in eastern Canada yesterday, forcing office workers out onto downtown streets in the nation`s capital.
Cracks appeared in the Parliamentary Press Gallery building in Ottawa, and outside. Some people appeared shaken up, but unhurt.
Most downtown Ottawa buildings appeared to have been evacuated as alarms rang out.
James Bowden, a former resident of Alaska who experienced several earthquakes in the US state, was standing in line at a fast-food restaurant on Ottawa`s Sparks Street when he said he "heard the earthquake coming a few seconds before it hit”.
"It sounded like a freight train barrelling towards us," he said.
An avid reader of earthquake sciences, Bowden said Ottawa experiences earthquakes every four or five years. "This one was fairly big," he said.
"It was really... freaky," a pedestrian was overheard saying on her cell phone as she walked by.
(With Agencies’ inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Centre trying to run Delhi indirectly, says Sisodia
- Rio Olympics fallout: OP Jaisha alleges official apathy, AFI refutes charge
- Wriddhiman Saha, Ravichandran Ashwin biggest positives in this series: Virat Kohli
- Can't yet verify if wedding bomber was child or linked to Islamic State: Turkish PM
- Donald Trump denies 'flip flopping' on immigration