Tremors felt in New Jersey after Canadian earthquake
Hackensack: Tremors from a magnitude-5.0 earthquake centred near Ottawa, Canada, shook northern New Jersey on Wednesday afternoon and caused the Bergen County administration building to be evacuated briefly.
There were no reports of damage or injuries.
Police in Bergen County said they received numerous calls from residents in the Hackensack and Englewood areas shortly after the earthquake was recorded by the US Geological Service at 1:41 pm.
A strong earthquake shook Ottawa and Montreal in eastern Canada yesterday, forcing office workers out onto downtown streets in the nation`s capital.
Cracks appeared in the Parliamentary Press Gallery building in Ottawa, and outside. Some people appeared shaken up, but unhurt.
Most downtown Ottawa buildings appeared to have been evacuated as alarms rang out.
James Bowden, a former resident of Alaska who experienced several earthquakes in the US state, was standing in line at a fast-food restaurant on Ottawa`s Sparks Street when he said he "heard the earthquake coming a few seconds before it hit”.
"It sounded like a freight train barrelling towards us," he said.
An avid reader of earthquake sciences, Bowden said Ottawa experiences earthquakes every four or five years. "This one was fairly big," he said.
"It was really... freaky," a pedestrian was overheard saying on her cell phone as she walked by.
(With Agencies’ inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi