Trial of ex-IMF chief Strauss-Kahn `next year`
Lille (France): The trial of former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn, accused of "aggravated pimping" in an alleged prostitution ring in France, will take place next year, a source close to the case said on Wednesday.
Strauss-Kahn has been charged with "aggravated pimping as part of a group" in the so-called "Carlton affair" -- one of a string of lurid cases that emerged after he resigned from the International Monetary Fund over an alleged sexual assault on a New York hotel maid.
According to a source close to the case, who wished to remain anonymous, the trial will take place in 2014.
The case centres on allegations that business leaders and police officials supplied prostitutes for sex parties in the northern French city of Lille, some of which are said to have taken place at the upmarket Carlton Hotel.
Prosecutors in June had called for charges against Strauss-Kahn, 64, to be dropped, saying there was insufficient evidence to proceed to trial.
But last week, the Lille prosecutors` office said investigating magistrates had ordered him and 12 other defendants to face trial.
In the French legal system, investigating judges can overrule recommendations from prosecutors and force them to take suspects to trial.
There had been some speculation that prosecutors might appeal the magistrates`s decision -- but today they announced they would not.
The charge of "aggravated pimping as part of a group" is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up USD 2 million.
Strauss-Kahn has admitted to attending sex parties in France and the United States, but has said he did not know some of the women were being paid.
Until his downfall, Strauss-Kahn had been seen as the leading candidate of the Socialist party to challenge Nicolas Sarkozy for the French presidency.
But he told Russian television today that his political career was over and he was instead working as an economic advisor.
In December, he agreed to pay undisclosed damages -- reportedly in excess of USD 1.5 million -- to Nafissatou Diallo, the New York hotel maid whose 2011 allegation of sexual assault forced him to resign from his IMF job.
Strauss-Kahn admitted a sexual encounter took place but said it was consensual. A criminal investigation into the incident collapsed after the maid changed her version of events, leading prosecutors to conclude there was little chance of a conviction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon