Trinidad hunger striker ends protest
Port-of-Spain: An emaciated activist in Trinidad has ended his hunger strike over a highway extension project.
On the 21st day of a hunger strike, Wayne Kublalsingh said yesterday that he was satisfied that his demands have been met by the government and an independent committee. They have pledged to undertake a scientific and economic review of the road project within 60 days.
Kublalsingh tells reporters that he was heading to a medical facility "to see what condition my body is in." He says he lost more than 40 pounds while refusing food and water.
On Monday, the independent panel announced it would undertake a scientific review of the highway extension project.
Kublalsingh has argued the project as planned would harm the lives of families in 13 villages and severely damage wetlands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead