Trinidad hunger striker ends protest
Port-of-Spain: An emaciated activist in Trinidad has ended his hunger strike over a highway extension project.
On the 21st day of a hunger strike, Wayne Kublalsingh said yesterday that he was satisfied that his demands have been met by the government and an independent committee. They have pledged to undertake a scientific and economic review of the road project within 60 days.
Kublalsingh tells reporters that he was heading to a medical facility "to see what condition my body is in." He says he lost more than 40 pounds while refusing food and water.
On Monday, the independent panel announced it would undertake a scientific review of the highway extension project.
Kublalsingh has argued the project as planned would harm the lives of families in 13 villages and severely damage wetlands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'