Trinidad hunger striker ends protest
Port-of-Spain: An emaciated activist in Trinidad has ended his hunger strike over a highway extension project.
On the 21st day of a hunger strike, Wayne Kublalsingh said yesterday that he was satisfied that his demands have been met by the government and an independent committee. They have pledged to undertake a scientific and economic review of the road project within 60 days.
Kublalsingh tells reporters that he was heading to a medical facility "to see what condition my body is in." He says he lost more than 40 pounds while refusing food and water.
On Monday, the independent panel announced it would undertake a scientific review of the highway extension project.
Kublalsingh has argued the project as planned would harm the lives of families in 13 villages and severely damage wetlands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'