Triple bombs kill 8 Shiites during Ashoura ritual in Iraq’s Baqouba
Zee Media Bureau
Baghdad: In the latest incident of violence in Iraq, three bombs were detonated near a bunch of Shiites who were observing the ritual of Ashoura in eastern city of Baqouba on Wednesday, police officials told.
Eight were killed including two children aged 9 and 10 years, reports said.
Ashoura is an annual mourning period during which Shia Muslims commemorate the martyrdom of Imam Hussein, the grandson of Prophet Muhammad at the Battle of Karbala, Iraq.
The ritual which draws hundreds of thousands of Shiites, is often targeted by Sunni extremists who consider Shiites to be heretics.
The attack in the city of Baqouba, a former al Qaeda stronghold, also wounded 35 people.
Iraq has been seeing increasing attacks in recent months with most of them targeting Shia Muslims and staged by Sunni extremists.
The upsurge in attacks came after a government crackdown in April on a Sunni extremist camp.
Over 5000 have been killed since then in Iraq and in September alone near 1000 had been killed according to a UN estimate.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Sad but true! Women in India earn 19% less than men, says report
- Jayalalithaa thanks Stalin for attending her swearing-in ceremony, says 'no intent to disrespect him or DMK'
- Snapdeal CPO Anand Chandrasekaran quits
- IT department to 'name and shame' crorepati defaulters this fiscal
- Father and son cut open a wasp's nest – Watch video to find out what's inside!