Troops kill two Islamist gunmen near Algiers: Army
Algiers: Algerian troops have killed two armed Islamists east of the capital, the defence ministry said on Monday, as media reported an attack on a military convoy left two soldiers dead.
The ministry said two Islamists were killed in separate operations yesterday evening, one of them during clashes with security forces in the Tadmait area of Tizi Ouzou, about 110 kilometres from Algiers.
The second gunman was killed in an army ambush in the Baghlia area of Boumerdes, some 50 kilometres outside the capital.
The El-Watan newspaper, meanwhile, reported a bomb attack targeting an army convoy in the restive region of Kabylie killed two soldiers and wounded five.
It cited sources in the area saying the attack took place late yesterday evening, about 40 kilometres southeast of the main Kabylie city of Tizi Ouzou, with the assailants detonating the homemade bomb from a distance.
Violence attributed to Islamists has declined considerably in Algeria in recent years, after a decade of appalling blood-letting during the civil war of the 1990s.
But groups affiliated with al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb continue to attack security forces in the eastern Kabylie region, in areas around the capital and in the south.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'