Troops kill two Islamist gunmen near Algiers: Army
Algiers: Algerian troops have killed two armed Islamists east of the capital, the defence ministry said on Monday, as media reported an attack on a military convoy left two soldiers dead.
The ministry said two Islamists were killed in separate operations yesterday evening, one of them during clashes with security forces in the Tadmait area of Tizi Ouzou, about 110 kilometres from Algiers.
The second gunman was killed in an army ambush in the Baghlia area of Boumerdes, some 50 kilometres outside the capital.
The El-Watan newspaper, meanwhile, reported a bomb attack targeting an army convoy in the restive region of Kabylie killed two soldiers and wounded five.
It cited sources in the area saying the attack took place late yesterday evening, about 40 kilometres southeast of the main Kabylie city of Tizi Ouzou, with the assailants detonating the homemade bomb from a distance.
Violence attributed to Islamists has declined considerably in Algeria in recent years, after a decade of appalling blood-letting during the civil war of the 1990s.
But groups affiliated with al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb continue to attack security forces in the eastern Kabylie region, in areas around the capital and in the south.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Captured: Witness 70 tiger sharks ripping apart a dead whale! - Watch video
- Indian Premier League 2016, Match 56: Delhi Daredevils vs Royal Challengers Bangalore — As it happened...
- Revealed! Alia Bhatt to essay the role of a rape victim in 'Udta Punjab'
- This Gurudwara in Iran is a must-visit for Indians, PM Modi too visited on Sunday
- Check out: 7 ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL things to do in Kovalam beach, Kerala!