Tropical Storm Fernand forms in Gulf of Mexico
Mexico City: Tropical Storm Fernand formed in the Gulf of Mexico and is expected to hit the Mexican coastal state of Veracuz early today, the country`s national weather service said.
The storm is expected to cause heavy rains, intense winds and strong waves in Veracruz and neighboring Tabasco and Tamaulipas states, the agency said.
Veracruz governor Javier Duarte announced he was closing schools throughout the state on Monday, as a cautionary measure.
As of 2230 GMT, the storm was 45 kilometers (28 miles) east of Verazruz, the state`s main port, and was moving to the west at 19 kilometres an hour, with sustained winds up to 75 kilometers an hour.
Fernand is the fifth named storm this year in the Atlantic, where the hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30.
The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has forecast a more than usually violent season of 13 to 19 named storms including six to nine hurricanes.
Meanwhile, in the Pacific, Tropical Storm Ivo, which formed Friday off Mexico has downgraded to a tropical depression. It remains near the touristy coastal state of Baja California Sur.
State Civil Protection director Carlos Enrique Rincon said access to the small tourist town of Loreto was cut off as rivers have flooded the main highway.
Most of Loreto`s residents had been evacuated on Saturday night, and at least 400 people are in shelters, the town`s mayor, Jorge Aviles, said.
The town`s port has been closed, but the international airport is functioning normally, Aviles added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- China must recognise South China Sea ruling: Philippines
- New Zealand to keep trialling day-night first-class cricket
- Delhi sex racket busted: Girls confined in almirahs; forced to sleep with clients in cubicles
- SMASH HIT: Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is still ruling the Box Office! – Details inside
- Yogeshwar Dutt's Bronze to be upgraded to Silver: Virender Sehwag expresses excitement with HILARIOUS tweet