Tropical wave`s rains flood airport in Dominica
Roseau: Rains from a passing tropical wave have flooded an airport and knocked out power to roughly 3,000 people on the eastern Caribbean island of Dominica.
Emergency officials say muddy floodwaters have forced the closure of low-lying Canefield Airport, one of the island`s two airports. Erosion has toppled several utility poles, leaving some towns without power.
The National Hurricane Centre in Miami said on Sunday that the tropical wave is moving away from the Lesser Antilles Islands and heading westward at 20 mph (32 kph). The tropical system could arrive in Mexico`s Yucatan Peninsula by Wednesday.
On Saturday, rainfall from the system triggered floods in Trinidad and Tobago. Officials say two people died and two others went missing when floodwaters surged through Trinidad`s western town of Diego Martin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'