Truck rampage kills one person in Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv: A truck rammed into vehicles and pedestrians in Tel Aviv on Sunday, killing one person and injuring at least seven on an annual day of Palestinian protests.
Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld identified the driver as a resident of the Arab village of Kafr Qassem in central Israel and said he had been apprehended.
Police said they were investigating whether the incident was an accident or a deliberate attack.
Israeli security forces had been on alert for violence on Sunday, the day Palestinians mark the "nakba," or catastrophe, of Israel`s founding in a 1948 war, when hundreds of thousands of Palestinians fled or were forced to leave their homes.
Witnesses said the truck driver went on a rampage, slamming into cars, a bus and pedestrians along a two-km (1-mile) stretch of road, at the start of the Israeli work week in Tel Aviv, Israel`s commercial hub.
"We heard terrible slamming behind us in the car -- boom, and another boom and another boom -- until it reached us, and we simply flew up in the air," a witness, identified only as Yossi, said on Army Radio.
"He went on and crashed into a bus. He got out and began to go crazy, throwing things at people. There was this poor innocent girl -- he struck her on the head. She just fell down, and now people are treating her. What can I tell you? A terrorist attack."
Israeli emergency services aid one person was pronounced dead at the scene and at least seven people were injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement