Truck rampage kills one person in Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv: A truck rammed into vehicles and pedestrians in Tel Aviv on Sunday, killing one person and injuring at least seven on an annual day of Palestinian protests.
Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld identified the driver as a resident of the Arab village of Kafr Qassem in central Israel and said he had been apprehended.
Police said they were investigating whether the incident was an accident or a deliberate attack.
Israeli security forces had been on alert for violence on Sunday, the day Palestinians mark the "nakba," or catastrophe, of Israel`s founding in a 1948 war, when hundreds of thousands of Palestinians fled or were forced to leave their homes.
Witnesses said the truck driver went on a rampage, slamming into cars, a bus and pedestrians along a two-km (1-mile) stretch of road, at the start of the Israeli work week in Tel Aviv, Israel`s commercial hub.
"We heard terrible slamming behind us in the car -- boom, and another boom and another boom -- until it reached us, and we simply flew up in the air," a witness, identified only as Yossi, said on Army Radio.
"He went on and crashed into a bus. He got out and began to go crazy, throwing things at people. There was this poor innocent girl -- he struck her on the head. She just fell down, and now people are treating her. What can I tell you? A terrorist attack."
Israeli emergency services aid one person was pronounced dead at the scene and at least seven people were injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'