Tsunami watch lifted in most of Indian Ocean
Banda Aceh: A tsunami watch around the Indian Ocean has been lifted hours after two powerful earthquakes hit off Indonesia`s western coast.
The 8.6- and 8.2-magnitude earthquakes triggered panic Wednesday afternoon. Residents in coastal cities fled to high ground in cars and on the backs of motorcycles.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii lifted a tsunami watch for most areas of the Indian Ocean about four hours after the first quake. It was still in effect for Indonesia, India, the Maldives, Sri Lanka and the island territory of Diego Garcia.
Major damage or tsunami waves locally were not reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anushka Sharma kicks the butt in 'Sultan' new still—See inside!
- Bring back Kohinoor diamond, gift it to Jagannath Temple: BJD MP
- Virat Kohli – Anushka Sharma: Will the couple reconcile – This could be an indicator!
- Enclave-dwellers to vote for first time since Independence
- Pathankot IAF base remains highly unsafe, Centre to be blamed: Parliamentary panel