Tucson shootings: Loughner to get life in prison?
Phoenix: A possible plea deal in the deadly Tucson shootings that wounded then-US Representative Gabrielle Giffords would send Jared Lee Loughner to prison for the rest of his life, a person familiar with the case said.
A court-appointed psychiatrist will testify on Tuesday that Loughner is competent to enter a plea in the shooting rampage that killed six people and injured 13, including Giffords, said the person, who was not authorised to discuss the case publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.
A status conference in the federal case had already been scheduled for Tuesday in Tucson, Arizona.
The person, speaking about upcoming events in the case, said the plan is for Loughner to enter a guilty plea in the murders and attempted murders. The plan is contingent on the judge in the case allowing Loughner to enter the plea.
Bill Solomon, a spokesman for the US attorney`s office, said yesterday he could not comment on Loughner`s case and the possibility of a guilty plea.
The Pima County attorney`s office, which has said it could also pursue state prosecution of Loughner, declined to comment, said spokeswoman Isabel Burruel Smutzer.
Loughner has pleaded not guilty to 49 federal charges stemming from the January 08, 2011, outside a Tucson supermarket where Giffords was holding a meet-and-greet with constituents.
Authorities said he shot Giffords, opened fire on the crowd and was subdued by bystanders. Giffords was shot in the head and subsequently left Congress to devote her time to rehabilitation.
Giffords and her husband were travelling in Europe, and spokeswoman Hayley Zachary said yesterday she had no information on developments in Loughner`s case.
US Representative Ron Barber, a Democrat who was elected in June to replace Giffords in Congress after she resigned, also was wounded in the shooting. A spokesman for Barber did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
US District Judge Larry Burns ruled previously that Loughner isn`t psychologically fit to stand trial, but that he could eventually be made ready for trial after treatment.
An Arizona college that Loughner attended released numerous emails about him that painted a picture of a struggling student with emotional problems who disturbed others with his strange behaviour.
Experts have concluded that Loughner suffers from schizophrenia, and prison officials in Missouri, where Loughner has been held, have forcibly medicated him with psychotropic drugs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’