Tunis court nod to extradition of Libyan ex-PM
Tunis: A Tunis appeals court on Tuesday approved a
request by the new Libyan authorities for the extradition of
their former Prime Minister Baghdadi al-Mahmudi, the court`s
The court "approved the extradition request" made by the
new Libyan authorities for the extradition of Mahmudi, despite
concerns expressed by rights groups and Mahmudi himself over
During the hearing, dozens of Libyans rallied outside the
courthouse demanding the extradition of the man they called
the "third tyrant of Libya" after fallen strongman Muammar
Gaddafi and his son Seif al-Islam.
"The Libyan people have the right to apply the law to
those who robbed the people," one banner read.
Defence lawyer Mabrouk Kourchid argued at the hearing
that his team had not had time to review documents newly added
to the case because of the Muslim festival of Eid al-Adha that
However a Tunisian judge refused to postpone the
extradition hearing, with Mahmudi`s team complaining that he
had given no explanation for his decision.
"We are very disappointed by the judge`s stance, which
presages nothing good about his intentions," Kourchid said.
Last week he said that his client fears for his life as
the sole holder of Libyan state secrets since Gaddafi`s death
on October 20.
Mahmudi, 70, was prime minister until the final days of
the Gaddafi regime. He was arrested on September 21 on
Tunisia`s southwestern border with Algeria.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview