Tunisia: 162 arrests after Islamists` riots
Tunis: Tunisian official say at least 162 people have been arrested after days of rioting in several location across the country by ultraconservative Islamists known as Salafis.
Nighttime curfews have also been imposed around the capital, as well as the cities of Sousse, Monastir, Jendouba and Ben Guerdane.
Salafis on Sunday attacked an art exhibition they deemed insulting to Islam in the Tunis suburb of La Marsa. On Monday they attacked police stations, burning several.
The art gallery has since been closed by the government, which has objected to the content.
Government spokesman Samir Dilou said in a press conference late yesterday that 62 police were wounded in the clashes.
Tunisia has witnessed an upsurge of Salafis-inspired violence that in recent months have become violent, attacking police and judicial institutions.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living