Tunisia: 162 arrests after Islamists` riots
Tunis: Tunisian official say at least 162 people have been arrested after days of rioting in several location across the country by ultraconservative Islamists known as Salafis.
Nighttime curfews have also been imposed around the capital, as well as the cities of Sousse, Monastir, Jendouba and Ben Guerdane.
Salafis on Sunday attacked an art exhibition they deemed insulting to Islam in the Tunis suburb of La Marsa. On Monday they attacked police stations, burning several.
The art gallery has since been closed by the government, which has objected to the content.
Government spokesman Samir Dilou said in a press conference late yesterday that 62 police were wounded in the clashes.
Tunisia has witnessed an upsurge of Salafis-inspired violence that in recent months have become violent, attacking police and judicial institutions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Petrol prices in major Indian cities after latest hike!
- IPL 2016: Axar Patel's four-wicket haul guides Kings XI Punjab to 23-run win over table-toppers Gujarat Lions
- Diesel prices in major Indian cities after latest hike!
- A much needed break! PM Modi spends some moments of solitude with a boat ride in Varanasi – Watch
- ISIS makes Indian terrorist its poster boy in new video to lure youth from country