Tunisia: 162 arrests after Islamists` riots
Tunis: Tunisian official say at least 162 people have been arrested after days of rioting in several location across the country by ultraconservative Islamists known as Salafis.
Nighttime curfews have also been imposed around the capital, as well as the cities of Sousse, Monastir, Jendouba and Ben Guerdane.
Salafis on Sunday attacked an art exhibition they deemed insulting to Islam in the Tunis suburb of La Marsa. On Monday they attacked police stations, burning several.
The art gallery has since been closed by the government, which has objected to the content.
Government spokesman Samir Dilou said in a press conference late yesterday that 62 police were wounded in the clashes.
Tunisia has witnessed an upsurge of Salafis-inspired violence that in recent months have become violent, attacking police and judicial institutions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?