Tunisia arrests 33 members of former leader`s family: Report
Tunis: Thirty-three members of deposed Tunisian leader Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali`s family have been arrested on suspicion of "crimes against Tunisia", Tunisian television said on Wednesday.
The station showed gold and jewellery it said was found in their possession, including gold necklaces and earrings inlaid with precious stones.
"Investigations will be carried out in order for them to face justice," a statement read out on state television said, citing an "official source". The statement apologised for not giving more details about the family members.
Ben Ali fled to Saudi Arabia last week after a popular uprising over poverty, corruption and political repression in a country he and his family had long dominated.
Ben Ali`s wife Leila Trabelsi and her family have been the object of much anger and derision among Tunisians for their wealth and extensive grip on the economy of the North African country of 10 million.
The Tunisian press -- enjoying unprecedented freedoms after years of state control -- has carried numerous reports saying `The Family`, as Tunisians refer to them, had absconded from the country with large sums of money and gold.
State television also said investigations were ongoing surrounding General Ali Seriati, Ben Ali`s head of presidential security who authorities said had been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why