Tunisia: Attackers set fire to Muslim saint shrine
Tunis: Five masked men on day stormed into a 500-year-old shrine to a female Muslim saint near the capital Tunis that had previously been threatened by religious conservatives and set it on fire, the Interior Ministry said.
Hardline Islamists are suspected in the attack on the shrine of Sayyeda Aicha Manoubia, a 13th century holy woman. It was one of several recent assaults on mausoleums for local saints.
The attacks come as secularists increasingly worry that Tunisia`s moderate Islamist ruling party is not confronting the extremist elements that have grown more active since the country`s longtime dictator was ousted last year.
For centuries, local women have visited the tomb of the saint to ask for help with problems or to cure diseases, and many poor women seek sanctuary there.
The ministry quoted four women staying overnight at the shrine who said the attackers used flammable liquid to quicken the blaze and stole valuables from them.
Hardline Muslims known as Salafis oppose the veneration of saints, a long-standing North African tradition, saying it undermines the Islamic belief in monotheism. Salafis in Mali, Somalia and neighboring Libya have all targeted the tombs of saints.
In March, religious conservatives picketed outside of the shrine to Sayyeda Manoubia and distributed pamphlets condemning this "blasphemous" practice of venerating saints.
Human Rights Watch yesterday issued a report urging Tunisia`s government to investigate attacks by religious conservatives against activists, filmmakers, artists and others they disagree with.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand