Tunisia coalition government to be formed in days
Tunis: The Islamist-led coalition formed after last month`s Tunisian election will unveil a government within days and will retain the serving defense minister, party officials said on Thursday.
Tunisia became the birth-place of the "Arab Spring" uprisings when it ousted its president this year, and since then it has made a relatively smooth transition to democracy, defying predictions the rise of Islamists would cause conflict.
The north African country last month elected an assembly which will draft a new constitution and set new elections. The chamber will be dominated by the moderate Islamist Ennahda party, in coalition with two secularist parties.
"The new government will be announced in a few days and not a few weeks," Samir Dilou, a leading figure in Ennahda said. "There is an agreement in principle that the defense minister will keep his place."
Samir Ben Amor, of the Congress for the Republic, a junior coalition partner, confirmed that account of negotiations on the new cabinet and said he expected it would be ready next week.
Defense Minister Abdelkrim Zbidi has held the post since shortly after the January 14 revolution which forced President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali to flee to Saudi Arabia.
Many Tunisians respect Zbidi for the military`s role in helping keep order on the streets while staying out of politics.
Ennahda has been keen to send a message of continuity, and has indicated that the finance minister and central bank governor are also likely to keep their posts.
Dilou, a member of Ennahda`s executive bureau, said negotiations were still under way about other cabinet jobs, and about who will be selected as president.
That is a largely ceremonial post, but the president may be asked to mediate if a conflict emerges between the leading parties in the new assembly.
Dilou said the choice for president was between Moncef Marzouki, head of the Congress for the Republic, and Mustafa Ben Jaafar, head of Ettakatol, the third partner in the coalition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow