Tunisia seeks to extradite Ben Ali`s wife, dissolve party
Tunisia: Tunisia formally asked Saudi Arabia to extradite the wife of ousted strongman Zine El
Abidine Ben Ali and took steps to dissolve his ruling party as protests continued against the struggling caretaker government.
Authorities "have made an official request to Saudi
authorities through diplomatic channels for the extradition of
Leila Trabelsi, the wife of the ousted president," state TAP
news agency said yesterday, quoting the foreign ministry.
Tunis has already asked Riyadh to extradite
74-year-old Ben Ali for his involvement "in several serious crimes aimed at perpetrating and inciting voluntary homicide and sowing discord" among Tunisians.
Ben Ali and his family fled to Saudi Arabia on January
14 after an unprecedented popular uprising. He was reported
last week to have fallen into a coma after suffering a stroke
and was being treated in a hospital in Jeddah.
The European Union decided earlier this month to
freeze the assets of 46 members of his entourage.
A former hairdresser, Trabelsi is accused of pillaging
the country through endemic corruption, putting family members
in key government and lucrative business posts.
Interior Minister Farhat Rajhi announced that he had
officially requested to dissolve Ben Ali`s powerful
Constitutional Democratic Rally (RCD) party, two weeks after
suspending its activities and closing its offices.
Despite its seemingly perennial power, the RCD,
founded in 1988 by Ben Ali, had a tiny membership of some two
million, roughly a fifth of the population.
And while the revolution forced out the former
president, the caretaker government of Prime Minister Mohamed
Ghannouchi continues to face protests by angry demonstrators
demanding to root out vestiges of the old regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah