Tunisia sentences Ben Ali over revolt deaths
Tunis: A Tunisian military court has sentenced former president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali to a second life term in absentia for complicity in the killing of protesters in the greater Tunis area as well as five others governorates, Xinhua reported on Thursday.
It is the second time the ousted president, who found asylum in Saudi Arabia, has been sentenced to life imprisonment.
Ali`s former top security aide Ali Seriati was handed 20 years in prison, former defence minister Ridha Grira was sentenced to 15 years imprisonment, and a top security official at the Ministry of the Interior, Ali Boudriga, received 10 years sentence.
A few months ago, another military court in Le Kef city had sentenced Ali on similar charges for complicity in the murder of protesters during the riots of 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened