Tunisia sentences Ben Ali over revolt deaths
Tunis: A Tunisian military court has sentenced former president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali to a second life term in absentia for complicity in the killing of protesters in the greater Tunis area as well as five others governorates, Xinhua reported on Thursday.
It is the second time the ousted president, who found asylum in Saudi Arabia, has been sentenced to life imprisonment.
Ali`s former top security aide Ali Seriati was handed 20 years in prison, former defence minister Ridha Grira was sentenced to 15 years imprisonment, and a top security official at the Ministry of the Interior, Ali Boudriga, received 10 years sentence.
A few months ago, another military court in Le Kef city had sentenced Ali on similar charges for complicity in the murder of protesters during the riots of 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- Uma Bharti admitted to AIIMS, stable
- Microsoft's 'Project Premonition' mosquito trap helps tackle spread of Zika and other diseases
- Parts of Uttar Pradesh receive rain, water level rising in major rivers
- 17% Indian pregnant women suffer from obesity, diabetes
- Mob attacks police post in J&K's Kupwara, 18 policemen injured