Tunisia wants OIC summit to condemn Myanmar violen
Tunis: Tunisia has requested the upcoming Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC) summit to condemn the violence in Myanmar that killed some Muslims, the official TAP press agency reported on Saturday.
The request was made on Friday in Geneva during a coordination meeting of the OIC’s permanent representatives to the UN, and was approved by several Muslim countries including Egypt, Libya, Morocco, Iran and Sudan, a communique from the Tunisian foreign affairs ministry said.
"Tunisia voices its deep concern about the tension prevailing in Myanmar and condemns the exactions against the Muslim minority there," the communique said.
The forthcoming OIC summit is due to place in Jeddah of Saudi Arabia on August 14-15.
The violence in Myanmar was sparked by the raping and murdering of a ethnic Rakhine woman by three Bengali-Muslims in late May. Shortly after, 10 Muslims were killed aboard a bus by a mob allegedly in retaliation.
The death toll of the Burmese unrest reached 78 in late June while more than 3,000 residential houses were destroyed in arson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE