Tunisia`s Marzouki says no risk of Egypt contagion
Tunis: President Moncef Marzouki ruled out the risk of Tunisia`s elected authorities being deposed, after Egypt`s Army ousted its head of state, while stressing the need to "pay attention" to popular demands.
"Could Tunisia witness the same (Egyptian) scenario? I don`t think so, because it`s missing the fundamental ingredients. Here we have a professional, republican army that has never got mixed up with politics," he said.
Marzouki acknowledged that there was an "ideological divide" between "two Tunisias", with the Islamists who lead the country`s coalition government on one side and the secular modernists on the other, but unlike in Egypt he said they were not in conflict.
"That said, we must understand this signal, pay attention, realise that there are serious economic and social demands," Tunisia`s secular head of state told reporters, at a joint press conference in Tunis with visiting French President Francois Hollande.
"Consensus... Is the best antidote to the problems that we see elsewhere," Marzouki added.
Hollande expressed words of encouragement for Islamist-ruled Tunisia, during the first visit by a French president to the birthplace of the Arab Spring uprisings since its January 2011 revolution.
The North African country has over the past two years suffered a wave of violence linked to radical Islamists and is battling political instability, with tensions over the draft Constitution boiling over in the National Assembly earlier this week.
"What is clear is that for you there is also an obligation to succeed because you are an example, a reference for many other Arabs," the French President said, while describing the transition in Tunisia as "controlled".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore