Tunnel collapse traps workers at Indonesian mine
Timika (Indonesia): As many as 30 miners were trapped underground today after a tunnel caved in at a giant US-owned gold and copper mine in Indonesia`s easternmost province of Papua, police said.
The accident happened today morning at the Grasberg mine in remote Mimika district, said Papua police spokesman Lt. Col. Gede Sumerta Jaya. A search was underway, but the fate of the trapped workers was unclear, he said.
The mine is owned by Phoenix, Arizona-based Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. A written statement from PT Freeport Indonesia, a subsidiary that runs the mine, said a tunnel in the underground training area collapsed. It did not say how many workers were involved, or whether there were injuries or fatalities.
"The rescue process is difficult and will take some time to complete," the statement said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with our fellow employees and their families as we proceed with rescue efforts."
Thousands of workers are employed at the mine, which has been plagued by violence since production began in the 1970s. In 2011, production was crippled when 8,000 unionized employees walked off the job after demanding higher pay.
The four-month strike ended after the company agreed to a 37 percent wage hike and improved benefits. The restive province holds some of the world`s largest gold and copper reserves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?