Turban ban prompts suspension of Quebec Federation
Montreal: The Canadian Soccer Association says it has suspended a provincial association over its refusal to let turban-wearing children play.
The Organization said on Monday it had to intervene because the Quebec Soccer Federation showed no sign of overturning its decision to restrict turban-wearing Sikhs from the pitch.
The National Organization said last week it expected the Quebec Association to reverse the ban, which has drawn international coverage and condemnation from several federal politicians.
Quebec`s Federation says it`s concerned about safety and points out that the rules of the world governing body, FIFA, don`t specifically allow turbans.
Critics of the Quebec decision point out that FIFA`s rules don`t explicitly ban turbans, either.
The Canadian Association says it will lift the suspension once it has proof the Quebec Federation has revoked the ban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Brexit impact: RBI will provide liquidity wherever necessary, says Raghuram Rajan
- I should speak less now, jokes Salman Khan
- POSTER alert! Erika Kaar in Ajay Devgn's 'Shivaay'
- Maharashtra districts to have own disaster management plan
- Despite big money on table, Rahul Dravid rejected Anurag Thakur's offer to coach India - Here's why