Turban ban prompts suspension of Quebec Federation
Montreal: The Canadian Soccer Association says it has suspended a provincial association over its refusal to let turban-wearing children play.
The Organization said on Monday it had to intervene because the Quebec Soccer Federation showed no sign of overturning its decision to restrict turban-wearing Sikhs from the pitch.
The National Organization said last week it expected the Quebec Association to reverse the ban, which has drawn international coverage and condemnation from several federal politicians.
Quebec`s Federation says it`s concerned about safety and points out that the rules of the world governing body, FIFA, don`t specifically allow turbans.
Critics of the Quebec decision point out that FIFA`s rules don`t explicitly ban turbans, either.
The Canadian Association says it will lift the suspension once it has proof the Quebec Federation has revoked the ban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion