Turk airstrike hits Kurd rebel targets in Iraq
Istanbul: Turkish planes bombed Kurdish rebel targets in northern Iraq, the military said on Friday, following a spate of militant attacks on Turkish soil.
"Separatist terrorist organisation targets were hit by Turkish Armed Forces planes last night in Northern Iraq, notably in the Qandil mountain and Hakurk region," the Army said.
The Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) has bases in northern Iraq, from where it launches attacks on Turkish troops and military installations. More than 50 soldiers have been killed as a result of PKK attacks over the last several months.
The bombings came after 17 died on Thursday between Turkish troops backed by helicopter gunships and Kurdish separatists in the predominantly Kurdish southeast.
"The targets were hit successfully," the Army said in a statement posted on its website.
Public anger at the government`s inability to stop the rising violence ahead of next year`s elections has forced Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan to ask for support from allies.
Intelligence sharing between Turkey and the United States has increased the effectiveness of Turkey`s sporadic air raids on the group, listed as a terrorist organisation by Ankara, the European Union and the United States.
The PKK called off a unilateral ceasefire on June 01.
The PKK took up arms against Turkey in 1984 in a bid to carve out an independent Kurdish state. More than 40,000 people, mainly Kurds, have died in the war.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in