Turkey: 11 generals held for 1997 coup
Ankara: Police in Turkey on Thursday detained 11 Army generals - four retired and seven in service - for their alleged involvement in a coup in 1997, a media report said.
The military personnel were investigated for the coup on February 28, 1997, when the Army forced a popularly-elected coalition government to resign, Xinhua reported citing the website of Turkish newspaper Today`s Zaman.
The suspects are accused of playing a major role in the coup and will be detained at Sincan Prison and Mamak Military Prison, according to the Ankara 11th High Criminal Court.
They may face life imprisonment on charges of crimes against the state.
The Turkish military has unseated the government several times since the 1960s.
Currently, hundreds of active-duty or retired military personnel, including former chief of general staff General Ilker Basbug, are on trial over coup charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Preggers Mira Rajput admitted to hospital; hubby Shahid Kapoor's parents hurry to meet bahu!
- 'Spit remark' on PV Sindhu's achievements: Director says fans didn't get his satire, gets TROLLED again
- 2016 Hyundai Elantra: Check out features and specifications
- Institute of Company Secretaries of India Result 2016; Check icsi.edu for ICSI CS Executive Result 2016 declared
- Avoid getting sick this monsoon with these top health tips!